If your goal is to manage your weight, then this calculator will let you know what your daily calorie intake should be in order to lose, gain or maintain weight. In order to lose weight, you will need to create a calorie deficit which means that you consume fewer calories than you burn. This calculator will work out your recommended calories in order to create a calorie deficit if your goal is to lose weight.
How to use the Weight Loss Calculator
This weight loss calculator will help you to determine your recommended daily calorie intake.
Knowing how many calories you should be consuming can be very helpful in deciding on an appropriate meal plan to meet your needs. Consuming too many calories will be detrimental to you and you will find it hard to reach your goal weight.
- First, you need to input your personal data including gender, weight and height.
- You can use the sliding scale to choose the correct age in years for yourself.
- Next, input your weight in kgs by using the second sliding scale.
- Lastly, input your height using imperial measurements in feet and inches.
Now you need to select from a drop-down menu by choosing the activity levels that are most appropriate for your lifestyle. It is important, to be honest here, as overestimating how much exercise you do will give you a higher calorific intake and could lead to weight gain. Similarly, if you do not include your exercise you will get too few calories to fuel your body’s needs.
Your choices are as follows:
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) – This is the calories needed for your body to function at rest with no activity at all.
- Sedentary – Little or no exercise.
- Lightly Active – Exercise or sport 1-3 times per week.
- Moderately Active – Exercise or sport 3-5 times per week
- Very Active – Hard or intense exercise or sport 6-7 times per week
- Extra Active – Very hard or extra intensive exercise or sport or undertaking a very physical job.
By including your activity levels the result will take into account your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and therefore give you the best idea of the number of calories you require to lose, increase or maintain your weight.
The activity levels are rough estimates. You want an accurate calorie intake that reflects your lifestyle. Be truthful about the exercise you take regularly. A one-off run should not be included. You can experiment with different activity levels to see what a difference it can make if you take up regular exercise and use this as a prompt to start a better fitness regime.
What do the Results Mean?
The calculator will give you your estimated calorie requirements for losing, gaining or maintaining weight. The list and the chart show the calories required for maintaining weight, losing 0.5 kg per week and losing 1.0 kg per week.
Weight loss requires a calorie deficit and knowing the right amount of food to eat will help you to achieve the deficit for the required amount of weight loss. Even maintenance requires careful planning over the number of calories you consume daily as it is easy to slip into bad habits.
This Weight-loss calculator gives a more accurate picture than the BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculation on its own. Adding in your activity levels considers the effect of burning calories through exercise. BMR only takes into account your resting metabolic rate which is the number of calories your body requires to simply exist and perform its usual functions such as breathing. Even someone with a sedentary lifestyle will burn extra calories as they move around. Obviously, the more exercise that you do, the more calories you will burn.
How Much Weight Should I Aim to Lose Each Week?
In the long term, it is better to aim for a sensible achievable amount each week. Losing weight too quickly can be hard to maintain and it can be easy to slip back into bad habits. Studies show that a steady weight loss proves to be more successful in the long term. The healthy meal plans available on our site can help you achieve a healthy weight loss by eating good nutritional food in a structured manner.
A sensible weight loss goal would be between 0.5 and 1.0 kg each week (1-2 pounds). To lose these amounts you would need to burn between 500 to 1000 calories more than you consume. This is known as your calorie deficit. You can do this by eating a healthy diet and taking part in regular exercise.
Doctors do not recommend attempting to lose more than 1kg per week. Although it may be possible to lose more by restricting your food intake, it is not sustainable. There is no point dropping 2kg only to put it on again in a few weeks. Losing weight too fast can also lead to your body losing muscle rather than fat and that is not desirable. Healthy weight loss should always focus on losing body fat. This will ensure that when you reach your goal weight you are at your healthiest. Choosing a meal plan or having healthy meal plans delivered is a really good way to ensure that you can maintain your weight loss over a long period and change your eating habits long term.
Weight Loss Tips
Once you have established how many calories you can consume to lose weight then you may want to consider some ways which can help you to lose weight.
- Try not to eat late at night. The later in the day, the slower your body metabolizes your food. Try to stick to a routine and follow your meal plan.
- Eat more protein. Plant-based proteins like pulses or lean meats like turkey will help to reduce your fat intake and provide you with plenty of energy.
- Weight Training. Building your muscle strength will burn more calories and help you to create a body that burns more calories.
- High-Intensity Training (HIIT). A 20-minute session will burn off plenty of calories as well as improve your cardio health.
- Hydration. Drinking enough water to avoid dehydration will improve your ability to lose fat rather than water.
- Meal Prepping. Using meal plans can be an excellent way to plan your week’s meals and do some of the hard work in advance. You are far more likely to stick to your desired calorie intake if you have planned ahead.
- Consult the experts. Using Dubai meal plans will give you expert nutritional plans which can help you to optimize your weight loss and maintain good health.